Metro Utilities Department
705 Fayetteville Hwy
P.O. Box 503
Lynchburg TN 37352
Application for Employment
Job Description: Utility Manager
SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS
- Must have strong organizational and personnel management skills to ensure teamwork, optimal performance and efficient MUD operations.
- Must have the ability to manage and continuously improve the services and financial health of the Metro Utility Department.
- Able to work independently, plan and prioritize
- Have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Alliance/United Systems.
- Must be able to work required schedule and/or circumstances. This includes nights, weekends and holidays.
- The Utility Board prefers that the Utility Manager have at least one of the following certifications:
- Water Treatment III
- Waste Water III
- Water Distribution II
- Must participate in all training sessions and be willing to obtain certifications required.
- Must be able to accept responsibilities, especially where the public health is involved.
- Utility management experience with at least six (6) years of responsible experience in a supervisory/management position
The Utility Manager's job consists of the following but not limited to:
- Plan, organize, direct and review the operations of the Metro Utility Department, which is overseen by the Utility Board.
- Manage, supervise and participate in a wide range of maintenance and repair related projects.
- Oversee and manage infrastructure for water and sewer, fleet and equipment, as well as, base facilities.
- Infiltration/Inflow prevention in the Wastewater System
- Provide preventative maintenance schedule for the Water and Wastewater Systems.
- Assists Utility Board in development of Capital Improvement Program with 5 and 10 year projections.
- Responsible for all reports required by the county, state and federal agencies. (e.g. - CCR Report, Water Loss)
- Develop and implement job and safety training
- Maintain OSHA compliance.
- Perform cost analysis to maintain a solid fund balance
- Project prioritization and recommendations to the Utility Board for approval.
- Create employee development strategies for cross training
- Evaluate staff's performance and prepare performance evaluations annually.
- Assign or approve work schedules for all departments.
- Hire, terminate and supervise all personnel.
- Prepare and maintain the budget each Fiscal Year for/per Board approval.
- Administer the Utility Department's Policy as outlined in the Policy Manual and set forth by the Utility Board.
- Provide factual information to Utility Board for purposes of decision-making.
- Serves as liaison with other Metro Governmental agencies, public entities and other State and Federal departments.
- Consistently work for the total improvement and safety of the Utility Department as well as all customers.
- Follow all laws, rules and regulations as determined by the Division of Water Resources.